Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Letters, We've Got Letters . . .

If anyone asked me what Quinn likes the most, I would say music and letters. Since I just posted some musical videos, I thought I'd post some with Quinn and his letters too. The kid just loves letters, which some might say could come from his nerdy-about-English former-teacher mama. It started several months ago when he learned the letters Y, O, and B, thanks to the lids on YoBaby yogurt. Ever since then, he has picked up over half of the alphabet, in no order and without knowing the alphabet song. His favorite letter is Y, and he carries his foam Y letter around quite often. When he woke up the other morning, I heard him in his crib saying, "A Y, an' S, an' O, and B!" over and over. What's fun about it is he picks out letters in signs at the store when we're shopping, on buildings when we're driving in car, and in books when we're reading. They're always there as fun things to look for, talk about, and in those crucial moments, distract him from something else! (: I have always loved to read, and Quinn's love for letters makes me so excited about the day when he starts reading.

Sorry this video is a little long and has an odd location. It takes place in the bathtub because his foam bath letters are in there, and he loves to recite them. We tried to get most of the letters he knows on it.

4 comments:

The Moser Fam... said...

Wow...that is really impressive! Ben loves letters too, but I don't think he knew them that well at under 2 years old! Way to go, Quinn! He says them so clearly too! I know you are proud! We always played a game where he had to find all the "E's" or "A's" (pick a letter) on a page of a book and everytime he found one, I had to laugh or jump or do something ridiculous to make him laugh. :) :) He's just adorable (by the way, I love how he took a timeout to blow some bubbles!)!

Katie said...

That is amazing!!!! I can't get over how verbal he is. And they say usually boys take longer! Holden sure isn't that advanced....he has his favorite word, "NO!" (because he hears it so often, little devil!) and about 10 other words at 15 months. We have the same foam shapes, which he enjoys looking at and chewing on. I think you have a prodigy on your hands. =o)

Pat Schley said...

I would definitely say that this is a case of "like mother, like son"! When you were about Quinn's age, Samantha,we were out running errands when you suddenly piped up from the backseat....K!!!!!! We couldn't figure out what you were talking about until we realized that we were passing a K Mart!! That was the first time we realized that you were recognizing letters.
So, so cute! This is definitely one for the wedding reception powerpoint!! :-)

Jackie said...

Wow! What a smart and adorable little guy! His English teacher mommy should be very proud...I'm sure he is your favorite "student" you've ever had! Thanks for sharing!