Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Quinn's Half Birthday


I grew up with a few birthday concepts that I've found in adulthood not to be very common. One is the idea of a golden birthday, which is the birthday where you turn the age of your birthdate. Mine was when I turned 24 on August 24th. Andy thought I invented the idea, since I strongly encouraged him to give me a golden gift to commemorate it. :) The only people I know who have heard of golden birthdays are from Illinois, so maybe it's just an Illini thing.
The other concept is half birthdays. Half birthdays were very important to me because they allowed me to bring treats into school to celebrate my day, since August 24th was usually the day before school started or the first day of school. Until I graduated from college, my mom gave me cards for my half birthday, and I, as a middle child, always welcomed the added day that brought me a little more attention. :)
Since Quinn is a week-before-Christmas child, I decided before he was even born that we would try to do the half birthday party thing so he could celebrate with friends. I didn't think I'd start it until next year, but I was getting a bit bored a few weeks ago, and since we have no parties on the horizon, I thought I'd throw one for Quinn. We talked it up for days, and all he wanted was balloons, cake, people to sing to him, and a pinata. So basically, it was glorified play date, but it worked out well. Since it rained that morning, we held it at my sister's house and enjoyed their bounce house. The pinata was a graduation hat I got on clearance, since it didn't need to be anything more than something to smash. The kids had a lot of fun, and I do think I'll continue having his party in the summer.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Katie said...

You are not alone-golden birthdays were always a big deal in my family! I thought everyone knew about those? I celebrate half birthdays with my students at school who have summer birthdays. What a fun idea for Quinn! Looks like he had a great time. I love the big picture of him in the middle enjoying his cake.

Courtney said...

That's hilarious! We were all about the golden b-days too, and I grew up in Chicago - ha! Little did I know it was more of an Illini thing! What a great idea - looked like fun. Will has the same Whale Watching tee that Quinn does ;-)

The Moser Fam... said...

I wonder if it is an Illinois thing re: the Golden B-day... because others I've talked to haven't heard of it??! :) I just had mine this year...30 on the 30th of May! Anyway, Quinns half-birthday party looked like fun. You are a fun mama. Hope you guys are doing well. :)

Jackie said...

Happy half b-day Quinn! I had no idea we were the only ones that did golden birthdays! Maybe it can spread to IN now too!!