Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Friday, October 17, 2008

Our Backyard

Andy and I have lived in our house since we moved in the day after our honeymoon. Looking back, I realize how young we were and how little we knew what to look for in a house. I thought we'd live here for 5 years tops--it's been over six already with no end in sight--and I gave very little thought to how the house would be with kids, especially paying no attention to the backyard, which I didn't even see until we were in the process of buying the place. I realize now how blessed we were to have "fallen" into a home that is just a wonderful place to have a little family. We live on a very un-busy street, have wonderful neighbors all around us, and we have a great, great backyard. As Quinn has gotten older, I've realized more and more how awesome our yard is. Where as before we had a child, I literally only stepped far enough into the yard to lay out in the summer, we now run all over the place, and we find new things all the time. This summer, for example, my dad showed us that one of our trees is an apricot tree. Every day for weeks thereafter, Quinn and I picked apricots off the tree and ate them while we played. What a treat! Anyway, I know I'm waxing poetic about a pretty mundane topic, but a good backyard is a blessing to a stay-at-home mom with a very energetic little one, and I'm so thankful for it!
These pictures were from our discovery today--raking and playing in leaves. Quinn thought it was just awesome to crunch, throw, rake, and dive in the leaves. I thought it was great that we have a plentiful supply of free "toys" for the next few weeks!

And I just love this sweet picture that needs a short explanation. I think I've mentioned before how Quinn loves to be "like Daddy", by wearing his shoes, ties, or shirts or playing sports Daddy plays. I've actually discovered I can use that as a manipulation, I mean, a motivation for things I need Q to do, i.e. "Blow your nose like Daddy!" Well, lately Quinn has discovered that he has pockets in most of his outfits, and I get such a kick out of seeing him walk around with his hands in his pockets like such a big boy. In this picture, Quinn saw Andy walking with his hands in his pockets and quickly copied him. I love how he's looking up at his hero-daddy too. So sweet! There's no one I'd want Q to be like more. ( :

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Pat Schley said...

Ok, that B&W one truly brought tears. That is the sweetest picture I have ever seen. Talk about capturing a moment for all time....
love it!!!

Abby said...

Sam--that picture of Quinn and Andy is absolutely priceless!!
I just love the leaf pictures! Fall is by far my favorite season and kids playing in the leaves are my favorite kinds of pictures :) Quinn is just SO cute! Isn't a great yard such a blessing?! I'm so grateful for ours, too!

the deKorne family said...

PRECIOUS!!!! You are right, he is so blessed to have Andy for a Dad! Let's keep in touch to help make it thru the winter when we can't enjoy our backyards so much. :)

The Moser Fam... said...

Great pictures...but especially love the one of Quinn and Andy w/ their hands in their pockets. It's adorable! :) It's clear he thinks his dad is the best!